Library Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes for Thursday, November 17, 2011
1. Call to Order: Chairperson Joe Corriveau called the Regular Meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
1.1 Roll Call - Present: Trustees Joe Corriveau, Paul Snyder, Jim Morché, and Mike DeFrancesco. Also present: Julie Herrin, Director; Anne Mannisto, Assistant Director; Judith Williams, Administrative Assistant. Staff member Suzanne Schimanski-Gross was present in the audience.
Absent: Trustees Robert Sochacki, Jean Hansen and Suzanne Miller.
1.2 Approval of the Agenda: MOTION: Jim Morché made a motion to accept the agenda as presented. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.3 Approval of the Regular Board Meeting minutes for October 20, 2011: MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to accept the minutes for the Board Meeting of October 20, 2011 as corrected. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.4 Citizen Comments: None.
2. Correspondence: A e-mail was received from the Friends of Michigan Libraries requesting our membership in the Trustee Alliance of FOML. Chairperson Joe Corriveau suggested that this be discussed at the December Board of Trustees meeting.
3. Director's Report:
Statistics: Julie Herrin reported that the circulation statistics are up by 5.6% over last year. All database statistics have increased and eBooks are almost triple last year's usage. Computer use and wireless access are also higher, while the door count is down slightly.
Youth Programming: There were 20 youth programs last month with a total of 481 children attending.
Teen Programming: The Halloween Mystery Loc in was attended by 19 teens, and 35 teens participated in the National Gaming Day event.
Adult Programming: A total of 32 individuals attended the eBook Class and 30 people participated in the Investment Program. The Book Discussion hosted 20. The Community Reads Author Program held at the Novi Public Library was attended by 200.
Staff: This past month, staff members Anne Mannisto, Wendy Mutch, Allison Brueckner, Karen Fehl and Julie Herrin attended the Michigan Library Association (MLA) Annual Conference in Kalamazoo. Two other staff members, Joan Hennessey and Lynne Hirschelman, took part in online training on cataloging. Julie will be on medical leave for eye surgery from November 18 to December 5. There were 87 hours of volunteer help during this past month.
Public Relations: Julie reported that Youth Librarians Dorie Freebury, Nancy Clarizio, Julie Ramsden and Teen Services Librarian Suzanne Schimanski-Gross have been asked to judge the annual PTA Reflections Essay Contest for Silver Springs and Ridgewood Elementary Schools. The newsletter will be delivered to Northville households the week of November 28. This copy of the newsletter has been expanded to contain an Annual Giving request page.
Facilities: The renovation of the Teen Area will begin on Tuesday, December 6.
Other: The Staff Holiday Luncheon will be held at 12 noon on Wednesday, December 14, 2011.
4. Friends Report: Judy DeFrancesco reported on the Friends activities. The Friends are funding the Teen Area renovation project in the amount of $40,000. Contributions from the Friends to the Library this year are around $60,000. The Friends are considering the addition of two teens to their Board of Trustees to assist the Friends in providing services to and building connections with younger people. The musical group Picks and Sticks drew a crowd of 125 to the Friends sponsored program at the Community Center. The Holiday Choral Concert, scheduled for Tuesday, December 6, will also be held at the Community Center and will feature the Twelfth Night Singers. The Friends have also scheduled a travel program about Antarctica for May 15, 2012 to be held in the Carlo Meeting Room.
5. Budget and Finance Review:
5.1 MOTION: Secretary Mike DeFrancesco presented the List of Bills over $1,000 for November 2011in the absence of Treasurer Jean Hansen. He made a motion to approve payment of these bills. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
5.2 Mike distributed the October 2011 Financial Reports. He reported that the fiscal year was drawing to a close at 92% complete and that all expenses are in order. An additional State Aid distribution check has been received for this year, which brings that line item over budget, as funds that should have been received last fiscal year were received during this fiscal year.
6. Committee Reports:
6.1 The Policy Committee presented several Policies for second reading.
• The By-laws were presented for second reading. Paul Snyder made a motion to accept the changes to the By-laws for the Board of Trustees which related to the appointment of a staff member's family to any Board position. Jim Morché seconded the motion. The motion passed with Mike DeFrancesco abstaining.
• The revised Code of Ethics was presented for second reading.. MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to approve the revised Code of Ethics. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• The revised Policy on Public Relations was presented for second reading. MOTION: Mike DeFrancesco made a motion to approve the revised Policy on Public Relations. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• The revised Policy on Emergency Closing was presented for second reading. MOTION: Jim Morché made a motion to approve the revised Policy on Emergency Closing. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• The revised Policy on Purchase Cards was presented for second reading. MOTION: Jim Morché made a motion to approve the revised Policy on Purchase Cards. Mike DeFrancesco seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• The revised Policy on Purchases over $10,000 was presented for second reading. MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to approve the Policy on Purchases of $10,000. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
7. Announcements and Comments
7.1 The December Finance Committee Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 13 at 10:00 a.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room.
7.2 The next Board Meeting will be on Thursday, December 15, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room. This will be the 3rd Thursday of the month due to Christmas.
7.3 The Staff Holiday Luncheon will be held on Wednesday, December 14 from noon to 2 pm. The Board Members are encouraged to attend.
MOTION: Jim Morché made a motion to adjourn the November Regular Board Meeting. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed. The Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Mike DeFrancesco, Secretary