Be Safe on the Internet
The Internet is a great place to hang out and chat with friends, and it provides a huge amount of information useful for school projects or just for fun. But there are also dangers involved in surfing the Internet and by being aware of them, you can keep yourself safe.
For example, chatrooms can be a dangerous area on the Internet. Read up on how to be aware of dangerous situations. There’s also some great info on Instant Messaging and email and “spamming”.
- Always keep your identity private.
- Do not respond to email, chat comments or Instant Messages that make you feel uncomfortable.
- If you feel uneasy about something, it’s probably not a good situation. Go with your gut feeling and stay away!
- Talk with your parents about their rules for going online.
- FBI > Kids Safety, http://www.fbi.gov/fun-games/kids/kids-safety
- NSTeens, http://www.nsteens.org/
- Safe Teens, http://www.safeteens.com/
- Teen Health > Online Safety, http://kidshealth.org/teen/safety/safebasics/internet_safety.html
- WebMD > Teen Internet Safety Tips, http://teens.webmd.com/features/teen-internet-safety-tips
Library Policies for Internet Use: