1. Call to Order: Chairperson Joe Corriveau called the Regular Meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
1.1 Roll Call - Present: Trustees Joe Corriveau, Jean Hansen, Paul Snyder, Suzanne Miller, Jim Morché, and Mike DeFrancesco. Also present: Julie Herrin, Director; Anne Mannisto, Assistant Director; Judith Williams, Administrative Assistant. Staff members Patricia Garavoglia and Jeannine Davidson were present in the audience.
Absent: Trustee Robert Sochacki.
1.2 Approval of the Agenda: Julie Herrin noted that approval of the Executive Session minutes needed to be added to the agenda. MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the agenda with the addition of the Approval of the Executive Session minutes as Item 1.4. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.3 Approval of the Regular Board Meeting minutes for September 22, 2011: MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the minutes for the Board Meeting of September 22, 2011 as corrected. Mike DeFrancesco seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.4 Approval of Executive Session minutes for September 22, 2011. MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the minutes for the Executive Session of the Board on September 22 as presented. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.5 Citizen Comments: None.
2. Correspondence: None.
3. Director's Report:
Statistics: Julie Herrin reported that the circulation statistics show a slight decrease over last year. There were, however, 296 new Library Cards issued during Library Card Sign-Up Month. The use of ebooks has doubled over the same time period last year.
Youth Programming: There were 36 youth programs last month with a total of 867 children attending. The Library presented "REAL Research" classes for 5th grade students from Our Lady of Victory and Northville Montessori School. This program will also be presented to local homeschoolers in December.
Adult Programming: A total of 51 individuals attended the Genealogy Program which featured Ancestry Library Edition and Heritage Quest. The Reference USA Program had 10 attendees and there were 33 people at the Community Reads Program, "Pets are like People".
Public Relations: Julie reported that she attended the PTSA Meeting at the High School. She spoke to 25 enthusiastic parents about the resources and services that are available at the Library. The PTSA has agreed to distribute a handout via email newsletters to all of their members regarding the Library's services. The High School Principal, Robert Watson, has also agreed to distribute information about Library services to the teaching staff and has invited Julie to talk to teachers in January. The PTSA asked for a class on Library resources for parents and teens. Julie reported that thank you notes were sent to the Elementary and Middle School principals who allowed the Library to distribute information at the school Open Houses this fall. The Library was selected to receive a Beautification Award again this year and Julie was presented with the certificate at a recent Rotary Club meeting. Julie and Anne Mannisto attended the Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting.
Collections: Julie has enhanced the Library's Overdrive downloadable ebook collection by subscribing to Overdrive Advantage. This will allow items that receive three hold requests to be purchased specifically for Northville patrons rather than to be shared with the other 38 participating Libraries in the program. The Library has also renewed its subscription to Novelist Plus, a reader's advisory online resource.
Training: Allison Brueckner and Julie Herrin attended an Ebook Summit webinar, and then the Overdrive conference in Cleveland, Ohio last month. They both also attended a local Overdrive meeting for Download Destinations. Karen Fehl attended "Marketing the Public Library" at the Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS) in Lansing, Michigan. Jeannine Davidson attended a workshop on "Updating Technology Skills" and Julie participated in the TLN Steering Committee Meeting this month.
There are 5 staff members attending the MLA Annual Conference in Kalamazoo the last week in October. Julie, Anne, Allison Brueckner, Wendy Mutch, and Karen Fehl will all be attending educational sessions.
Technology: The new wireless access system became available on October 17. This system can serve 216 simultaneous users; the old system could only serve 25.
Facilities: The emergency battery backup system, which supplies power for the emergency lights if the Library loses power through DTE, was repaired this past week. Thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the Library, we have also been able to purchase a Universal Power Supply for the Server Room and surge suppressors to protect all of the circuit breakers in the Library. Last year's donation from the Friends to change the lighting in the Library has realized a savings of over $1,000 per month on our monthly (budget) electric bill.
Other: The staff holiday luncheon will be held at 12 noon on Wednesday, December 14, 2011.
4. Friends Report: The Friends Fall Used Book Sale raised $1,459 through the use of bag sales on all three days of the sale. Picks and Sticks, a very popular musical group, will perform at the Community Center on Tuesday, November 8, to accommodate a larger audience than the Library can hold. The Holiday Choral Concert, scheduled for Tuesday, December 6, will also be held at the Community Center. The Friends have also scheduled a travel program about Antarctica for May 15, 2012 to be held in the Carlo Meeting Room.
5. Budget and Finance Review:
5.1 MOTION: Treasurer Jean Hansen made a motion to approve payment of the Northville District Library List of Bills over $1,000 for October 2011. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
5.2 Jean distributed the September 2011 Financial Reports. She reported that the fiscal year was 83% complete and that expenses are on track. An additional State Aid distribution check has been received for this year, which brings that line item over budget, as funds that should have been received last fiscal year were received during this fiscal year.
5.3 MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to electronically transfer $56.14 to the Debt Fund to adjust for a tax refund check from Wayne County; the total amount had been deposited in the Operating Fund, but a portion belongs to the Debt Fund. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
6. Committee Reports:
6.1 The Policy Committee met on Thursday, October 6. Julie Herrin reported that, due to Suzanne Miller's illness on that date, she led the committee's review of several policies.
• Julie presented the changes to the By-laws for the Board of Trustees which will be voted on at the next Regular Board Meeting, November 17. The changes related to the prohibiting the appointment of a staff member's family to any Board position.
• Julie presented the revised Code of Ethics. MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the revised Code of Ethics for first reading. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• Julie presented the revised Policy on Public Relations for first reading. MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the revised Policy on Public Relations for first reading. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• Julie presented the revised Policy on Emergency Closing for first reading. MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the revised Policy on Emergency Closing for first reading. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• Julie presented the revised Policy on Purchase Cards for first reading. MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to accept the revised Policy on Purchase Cards for first reading. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• Julie presented the revised Policy on Purchases over $10,000 for first reading. MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to accept the Policy on Purchases of $10,000 for first reading. Jean Hansen seconded the motion. Motion passed.
7. Announcements and Comments
7.1 Paul Snyder reported on the Friends of Michigan Libraries Linking Program at which he was a featured speaker, regarding our millage election. The topic was advocacy and Friends.
7.2 The November Finance Committee Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 15 at 10:00 a.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room.
7.3 The next Board Meeting will be on Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room. This will be the 3rd Thursday of the month due to Thanksgiving. Jean Hansen notified the Board that she would not be attending the next Board Meeting as she will be in Australia. She asked Mike DeFrancesco to act as check signer and Treasurer in her absence.
MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to adjourn the October Regular Board Meeting. Jim Morché seconded the motion. Motion passed. The Meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Mike DeFrancesco, Secretary