Library Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes for Thursday, December 15, 2011
1. Call to Order: Chairperson Joe Corriveau called the Regular Meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
1.1 Roll Call - Present: Trustees Joe Corriveau, Jean Hansen, Paul Snyder, Robert Sochacki, Jim Morché, Suzanne Miller and Mike DeFrancesco. Also present: Julie Herrin, Director; Anne Mannisto, Assistant Director; Judith Williams, Administrative Assistant; Steve Schultz, Legal Counsel for the Library. Staff members Suzanne Schimanski-Gross and Patricia Garavoglia were present in the audience.
1.2 Approval of the Agenda: MOTION: Jim Morché made a motion to accept the agenda as presented. Paul Snyder seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.3 Approval of the Regular Board Meeting minutes for November 17, 2011: MOTION: Jean Hansen made a motion to accept the minutes for the Board Meeting of November 17, 2011 as corrected. Robert Sochacki seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1.4 Citizen Comments: None.
2. Correspondence: The e-mail received from the Friends of Michigan Libraries (FOML) last month, requesting our membership in the Trustee Alliance of FOML, was discussed. Membership includes reduced fees for informational workshops which would benefit Board members. Jean Hansen made a motion to join this organization for the annual membership fee of $35.00. Robert Sochacki seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Jim Morché also presented information about membership in ALA's ALTAFF division that he wants to further investigate as to its value for the Board.
3. Director's Report
Statistics: Julie Herrin reported that the circulation statistics have increased by 4% over last year with e-book usage up over 200%. The door count is up by 1.25% over the same time last year. Database usage shows changes to offerings from MEL, and computer use and local history use have also increased significantly.
Youth Programming: There were 9 Youth programs last month with a total of 243 children attending. 60 Amerman first graders visited the Library for a tour, craft and storytime. 100 children attended the Holiday Magic Show on Dec. 13. Real Research Programs have now been presented to students from Our Lady of Victory, the Montessori School, and this month to home-schooled students with parents. In January this program will be presented to High School students and parents in co-operation with the High School Administration that will be sending e-mails to students to promote the presentation.
Adult Programming: The E-book Petting Zoo Program was attended by 42 individuals, with staff explaining some of the many electronic readers available. A total of 57 individuals attended the Foreign Film this month.
Staff: Head of Technical Services Patricia Garavoglia attended a webinar on cataloging. There were 87 hours of volunteer help during this past month.
Facilities: Two new humidifiers have been ordered for the Library with anticipated installation early in January. Michael is setting up wireless printing. This will allow printing access for people who use their own laptop computers on the Library wireless system. Michael has also installed a new Information Panel in the Library, replacing the old and fading monitor. Michael is also planning the installation of an electronic calendar which will allow people to sign up for programs online. The remodeling of the Teen area which began on December 6 is very near completion.
PR: Contributions to the Endowment Fund and Private Donations direct to the Library have been coming in, in response to the information included in the last Library Newsletter. This is the last year for the Michigan Tax Credit for such donations.
4. Friends Report: The musical group Picks and Sticks drew a crowd of 125 to the Friends-sponsored program at the Community Center. The Holiday Choral Concert, also held at the Community Center and featuring the Twelfth Night Singers, entertained an audience of 120.
5. Budget and Finance Review:
5.1 MOTION: Treasurer Jean Hansen presented the List of Bills over $1,000 for December 2011. She made a motion to approve payment of these bills. Mike DeFrancesco seconded the motion. Motion passed.
5.2 Jean distributed the November 2011 Draft Financial Report. She reported that the fiscal year is complete and that all expenses are in order. The Audit for the 2011 Fiscal Year will be conducted in early January.
5.3 Jean Hansen made a motion to amend the revenue line item for the Universal Service Fund for the 2012 Fiscal Year Budget to reflect the USF check for $3,963.66 that was received this month. Robert Sochacki seconded the motion. Motion passed.
6. Committee Reports: A date for the Directors Performance Evaluation for 2011 was set for Thursday January 5, 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room. Julie will submit her self-evaluation for the Board to review.
7. Executive Session: Jean Hansen made a motion to adjourn the Regular Meeting to an Executive Session for the purpose of discussing Union Contract negotiations with the Library's Attorney Steve Schultz. Jim Morché seconded the motion. The motion passed at 8:11 p.m.by a unanimous roll call vote.
8. Announcements and Comments
8.1 The January Finance Committee Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room.
8.2 The next Board Meeting will be on Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. in the Carlo Meeting Room.
MOTION: Paul Snyder made a motion to adjourn the December Regular Board Meeting. Robert Sochacki seconded the motion. Motion passed. The Meeting was adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Mike DeFrancesco, Secretary