Portrait of William H. Maybury
The portrait, painted by J. Raeburn Middleton, was completed in 1934 under the auspices of the Public Works of Art Project. The PWAP was the first of four federal arts projects during Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal administration. The PWAP was the first federal program to support the arts nationally, and employed thousands of artists during the Great Depression.
The Detroit Institute of Arts suggested to the U.S. GSA that it find a local site to display the painting, and the Northville District Library met the government requirements for housing the portrait that included climate control within the facility and a full-time professional staff. Alfred Ackerman, Head of Conservation and Painting Conservator for the DIA, and a 22-year Northville resident, restored the Maybury painting.
Photo Caption: Alfred Ackerman, Head of Conservation and Painting Conservator at the Detroit Institute of Arts and Library Director Julie Herrin with the recently installed portrait of William H. Maybury .
(Photo courtesy of Steve Fecht)
Loan from the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration
Commissioned through the New Deal Art Projects