In addition to the databases and software listed below, the language learning collection consists of dictionaries, grammar books, audio kits (26 languages covering basic to advanced), CD-ROMs, and DVDs.
We also have additional ESL Resources.
A collection of subscription databases, ebooks, and other online material paid for by the the Northville District Library or by the Michigan Electronic Library (MeL).
|Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos (World Book) - Beginning level Spanish encyclopedia with thousands of articles, illustrations and maps; bilingual interface. This database paid for by Northville District Library.|
|¡Informe! (revistas en español) – Full-text Spanish-language and bilingual articles published from 1999 to the present. Includes 425 academic journals and popular magazines, fifteen Latin American newspapers and a bilingual thesaurus; Spanish interface.|
|Learning Express Library - Online preparation and practice for the TOEFL iBT and Citizenship tests. NOTE:Learning Express Library has UPDATED to a new version. Your "Account" from the old version does NOT carry over tests to the new version.
|Mango Languages - Online language learning system that can help you learn languages like Spanish, French, Japanese, Brazilian Portugeuse, German, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Italian, Russian and many more. This database paid for by Northville District Library.|
|TumbleBook Library - Language Learning - Online read-along collection of story books for children with adjustable online text and audio narration in English, Spanish, French, and Chinese. This database paid for by Northville District Library.|
- Overdrive/Download Destination - Offers the Living Language and the Learn in Your Car self-study courses in eight languages. Available in WMA downloadable format, MP3 and iPod.
- Babelfish -Translates text from and to several languages
- Google Translate - Translates text or a webpage
- Multimedia Visual Dictionary - Search by image, word or theme, in English, Spanish and French
- Word2Word - Online dictionaries in 118 languages
- bab.la Vocabulary Lessons - Offer 17 language vocabulary lessons (registration required)
- BBC Languages - Online multimedia learning resources in Spanish, German, French and Italian.
- FSI Language Courses - Free online language courses in 37 languages; public domain courses developed by the Foreign Service Institute
- Livemocha - Free lessons in 36 languages and interactive communication with native speakers
- Visual Link Languages - Free online language learning for eight different languages (English, Chinese, German, Italian, French, Japanese, Russian)
American Sign Language
- American Sign Language Browser - A dictionary of animated signs from Michigan State Univerity.